Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Embroidery Part 1

Embroidery is both a surprise and not a surprise. It's not harder than I thought it would be, but it does take longer. Like I kind of expected to be about a third or halfway done with my pattern by the end of our drive home on Sunday, but I had, mm...maybe a sixth of it done? Maybe? Slow going! Now part of that may, I am willing to entertain the possibility that it might, have been because of the bumps and grinds of the road. But. Even taking that into account, not quite as fast as I expected.

But the stitching isn't hard, and I think my execution is as good as I could hope for. My design is (and this is another surprise) very obviously mine. I adapted some pictures of embroidery out of my Kyoto history of fashion tome, only because my domicile of guest abode had no internet--unexpected event--so I couldn't access any of the patterns I had found online. What I adapted looks so much like the way I always painted flowers in high school art it's uncanny. I guess I have a solid vision of the world, artisitically speaking, and it's still the same ten years later. I don't know whether to be pleased or dismayed. At least my drawing style translates decently well into basic embroidery shapes....

I'll post pictures after I'm done of the pattern, the pattern transferred onto the fabric, and the finished version. I don't want to jinx anything in the meantime, though. So no pictures for now.

No comments:

Post a Comment