Thursday, August 19, 2010

Embroidery Conundrum

I know I haven't gotten around to telling you all about making my chemise. I am like 80% I'm remaking it and that thoroughly demotivated me to talk about the trial version. I am about to embark on my embroidery journey. I am fairly confident this will come easily to me. I have always done well with abstract graphic designs in art classes and such, and I know the basic stitches and principles already--blew through a book on basic stitches in about 20 minutes because it was all "yes, I know how to do that."

Honestly, the bigger questions I had were the most simple of all:

  • how to thread the needle--by which I mean, does the embroidery thread run doubled or just with a tail at the top but leaving only one thread in the fabric (one with a tail up front)

  • do I knot the ends (mixed messages on this so I'm going with the Victorian site that said yes)

  • do I unwind my double-helix thread (if I want it thinner, which I do, then yes, I can)

    • So once I got those questions answered, it was time to decide what, exactly, I want to embroider. First embroidery project is the red dupioni silk that will cover my stays, because I can't find any black lace that does not look cheap and plastic to sew on as per my original plan. I have to embroider the fabric before I can cut it, and I am going on a road trip this weekend and expect at least one of the 6-hour drives to be in daylight and thus prime time to work by hand.

      I was looking at styles of embroidery today, and I found two styles that I like, and I don't know which one to use.

      Blackwork Embroidery

      Con - It is not period appropriate (it was popular in Elizabethan times but had fallen out of use by the 18th century)

      Pro - It would mimic the lace-covered look I wanted originally

      Con - It works better on gridded fabric, which mine is not

      Pro - It is essentially outlining patterns rather than "drawing" with thread and filling them in, which is harder to keep looking nice (case in point 99% of the embroidery how-to books on the market)

      Con - Its pattern would be exceedingly difficult to transfer by hand (and since my fabric is not on a grid it would have to be traced onto the fabric)

      Pro - It is a graphic design style of repetition and interlocking that I have worked with and enjoyed working with on paper



      Satin Stitch Embroidery (AKA regular filled embroidery)

      Con - It would not give me the lace effect I wanted originally

      Pro - It is period appropriate

      Con - It will require an original freeform design

      Pro - It is the kind of embroidery I'll have to use on his waistcoat so this would be good practice

      Pro - It would be equally easy on non-gridded fabric as it would be on gridded

      Pro - The pattern would be easier to transfer onto the fabric than a blackwork interlocking repetition pattern


      Sigh. I think I just talked myself into the free-form satin-stitch. It's for the best, really it is...and I would be disappointed, I think, whichever way I chose. One path cuts off the other, simple as that, and I want both right now.

      So. Now I just need to find a pattern that is appropriately dramatic, suited to the space and shape it will go, and work-able in a monochromatic design (black silk on red silk only). Maybe my artist mum can help me with that this weekend....

      Here's some thoughts of things I like but why this exact pattern wouldn't work:

      Middle section only - still too wide


      The part on the coat - has no centerpiece


      Would not work in black only but isn't that utter gorgeousness?




      No comments:

      Post a Comment